Kannel for Windows – Some Cygwin Binaries
A customer of mine recently asked me for a windows version of Kannel. Prior to this I had no experience with Cygwin/Windows development at all. It was actually extremely simple to build Kannel using Cygwin (thanks to the Kannel developers for being, well, pretty cool ).
Obviously it’s not the easiest thing in the world for non-developers so I thought I would make it easy for everyone to just simply download some binaries of Kannel and get going.
So with that said, I have built two installers for Kannel to run on windows. I have built against the stable release 1.4.3 and then I have done a CVS snapshot build against CVS dated 2009-04-07.
If you are interested in these, please navigate to my kannel for windows page which I will keep up to date as more stable releases get done.
Just a bit of background of how to build your own versions on Cygwin below:
- Download latest version of Cygwin
- Install, making sure you select the development packages (gcc, automake, libxml2-devel, openssl-devel, etc)
- Download and extract the source of Kannel from www.kannel.org
- Change directory to the extracted source
- Run ./configure
- Run make
- Then if you wish, run make install to install (need privileges unless alternative –prefix was specified)
Just as a final note, Kannel on windows should NOT be treated as a production ready piece of software, so this should be used strictly for convenience, testing, development, etc.
As always, if you have any questions, leave a comment or mail me via email@example.com