Kannel for Windows – Some Cygwin Binaries
A customer of mine recently asked me for a windows version of Kannel. Prior to this I had no experience with Cygwin/Windows development at all. It was actually extremely simple to build Kannel using Cygwin (thanks to the Kannel developers for being, well, pretty cool ;)).
Obviously it’s not the easiest thing in the world for non-developers so I thought I would make it easy for everyone to just simply download some binaries of Kannel and get going.
So with that said, I have built two installers for Kannel to run on windows. I have built against the stable release 1.4.3 and then I have done a CVS snapshot build against CVS dated 2009-04-07.
If you are interested in these, please navigate to my kannel for windows page which I will keep up to date as more stable releases get done.
Just a bit of background of how to build your own versions on Cygwin below:
- Download latest version of Cygwin
- Install, making sure you select the development packages (gcc, automake, libxml2-devel, openssl-devel, etc)
- Download and extract the source of Kannel from www.kannel.org
- Change directory to the extracted source
- Run ./configure
- Run make
- Then if you wish, run make install to install (need privileges unless alternative –prefix was specified)
Just as a final note, Kannel on windows should NOT be treated as a production ready piece of software, so this should be used strictly for convenience, testing, development, etc.
As always, if you have any questions, leave a comment or mail me via email@example.com